We’re looking for an DevOps Engineer who is passionate about code craftsmanship, continuous improvement, and agile development. We are a dynamic, innovative team building a global real-time platform utilizing the latest technologies such as Spark, Kafka, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, and the NetflixOSS stack for our main application.
Are you obsessed with uptime, latency, throughput, and scalability? Do you dream about build automation? Then read on! Our Engineering philosophy is to do the right thing at all times. We’re not interested in people who aren’t looking to grow. Let’s reiterate that: You MUST be looking to grow as both an individual and an engineer to work at Viafoura. We push boundaries to deliver a distributed, real-time API that handles thousands of requests per second.
- Work closely with a collaborative, agile team
- Vet cutting-edge libraries and weigh them against established ones
- Solve problems relating to mission-critical services
- Build automation to prevent problem recurrence with the goal of automating response to all non-exceptional service conditions
- Influence and create new designs, architectures, standards, and methods for large-scale distributed systems
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis, and system tuning
- This position is based in Toronto
- At least 4 years of experience with Amazon Web Services, including IAM, EC2 CloudFront, CloudWatch, CloudFormation, ELB, Route 53, S3, SNS, and SQS
- At least 6 years of Linux system administration experience, from the kernel to the shell, beyond simple package management
- Strong Python and shell scripting ability
- Solid understanding of IP networking (TCP, UDP, ICMP, etc), DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, deploying, monitoring, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems and web/API services
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive
- Experience with modern automation and automated provisioning tools including Ansible, Docker, Vagrant, Chef, Puppet, etc.
Nice to Haves
- Linux+ certification
- Experience managing Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, Elasticsearch, Zookeeper, Nginx, and MySQL
- Experience with Git, Jenkins CI
- Experience with Google Cloud and/or OpenStack
- Experience implementing high-performance, service-oriented architectures
- Experience with administering corporate network infrastructure
- Contributions to open-source or personal projects